Top 3 Methods to Reset Forgotten Windows Server Domain Admin Password
As a common Windows domain user, you can easily ask the domain administrator to reset your forgotten domain password. But this will not work if you forgot Windows server domain admin password. In this article, you can learn 3 simple methods to reset forgotten domain administrator password on Windows server 2008(R2)/2003(R2)/2000.
Important: Windows Password Unlocker Enterprise is required if you'd like to reset forgotten Windows server 2008 domain admin password through method 1 and method 2. It's the most popular Window server password reset tool to reset domain admin and user passwords on Window servers. It can also be used to reset Windows 7 password etc.
Method 1. Change forgotten domain admin password on Window server
- Step 1: Download and install Windows Password Unlocker Enterprise in any Windows-based computer that you can run as administrator.
- Step 2: Create a bootable Windows password reset USB disk in seconds. To do this, Insert a USB disk in the computer after launching the application, select the target device and then click Burn USB button. A few seconds later, a bootable Window password reset disk will be burned.
- Step 3: Insert the created bootable disk in the Windows server that you want to reset domain admin password of, and start the server form the disk.
- Step 4: When the Windows Password Unlocker interface appears, select the target domain administrator user and change its password, and then click "Next" button.
- Step 5: Type a new password for the selected domain admin account, and click "Next".
- Step 6: Click "Reboot" button when the password is changed. Remove the bootable disk while rebooting.
- Step 7: When the Window server login window appears, log into the selected domain admin account with the newly-changed password.
Method 2. Create a new domain admin account to bypass Window server domain admin password
Step 1: Download and install Windows Password Unlocker Enterprise in any PC you can run as administrator. And then create a bootable Windows password reset disk with CD/DVD or USB drive with this tool. (See guides on Method 1)
Step 2: Start Windows server 2008 you want to reset domain admin password of from the bootable Windows password reset disk. The Windows Password Unlocker window will come up.
Step 3: Select Create a New Admin Account and then click Next. You’ll be asked to enter a new user name and password to create a new domain admin account.
Step 4: Click Reboot button once the new domain admin account is created. Remove the bootable disk while rebooting.
Step 5: When the Window server login window appears, log into the computer through the newly-created domain admin account.
Method 3. Reset Windows server domain admin password with an installation disk.
Step 1: Insert the installation disc in the target Window server 2008 and boot the computer from the Windows disc.
Step 2: Click on "Repair your computer" option from the lower left-hand corner, and then follow the wizard you get to a list of recovery tools.
Step 3: Click on Command Prompt option, and then type the following commands in the coming command prompt window
MOVE C:\Windows\System32\Utilman.exe C:\Windows\System32\Utilman.exe.bak
(This command allows you to backup the utilman.exe file. Press Enter after tying it)
COPY C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe C:\Windows\System32\Utilman.exe
(This command allows you to copy cmd.exe and rename it Utilman.exe. Press Enter after tying it)
Step 4: Go ahead and reboot your computer. Click on the Ease of access icon when the logon screen appears.
Step 5: Type "net user administrator" in new command prompt window, and then press Enter. You will able to set a new password and then confirm it.
Get it Now