How to Create A User Account in Windows 8?
Windows 8 will be available in two months. As a PC user, have you ever listed this new OS in your shopping list? No matter what your answer is, you should be curious about this upcoming Windows system. Here you’ll find out how to create a user account.
Windows 8 Local Account and Microsoft Account
Unlike the predecessors, Windows 8comes with two types of user account for signing into it: local account and Microsoft account. The former allows you to use user name (and password) to log into Windows 8 like you do in Windows 7/Vista/XP. As for the latter, it’s just a new name of a Windows Live ID. It allows you to sign in to Windows 8 by using an email address and password.
A local user account gives you access to only the PC it's on, whereas Microsoft account allows you to synchronize some of your PC’s settings between your computers. And with a local user account, you can only browse the Windows Store. You’ll be required to sign up for a Microsoft account if you want to download an app or use included apps like the Mail, Calendar, People, Messaging, and SkyDrive apps.
How to create a local account in Windows 8?
- Step 1. Open the PC settings window. To do this, open the Charms Bar from the "Start" screen or desktop, then click on the Settings charm -> More PC settings.
- Step 2. On PC settings, click Users on the left side, and then click Add a user on the right side.
- Step 3. On the coming window, click Sign in without Microsoft account and click Next.
- Step 4. Enter the user name, password, and password hint for the new user account and click Next.
Note: Make the password hint carefully as it might be your saver when you forgot Windows 8 password.
- Step 5. Click the Finish button and a new user account is created. Sign into your Windows 8 with this user account.
How to create a Microsoft account in Windows 8?
- Step 1. Go to PC settings window -> select Users on the left side -> Add a user on the right side.
- Step 2. You will be prompted to enter your email address by default. Enter the email address that you wish to use as Microsoft account and click Next button.
Note: If you do not, then click on Sign up for a new email address link to get one.
- Step 3. Click Finish button and now a Microsoft account is set up. Log into windows 8 with this account.
1. If this is a child's account (standard user) and you would like to setup parental control for it, you can check the option box to turn on Family Safety.
2. When you sign in for the first time, you need to connect to the internet and enter the Windows Live ID password for this email address.
Tips and Warnings
1. You can easily switch between the Microsoft account and local account in Windows 8.
2. Make your Windows password strong enough but easy-to-remember for you.
3. Create a password reset disk to avoid troubles of Windows 8 password recovery.
Get it Now