What to do if I forgot my administrator password?
I forgot my administrator password for my windows 7 computer! I’m only able to get into my other account but I can’t update my iTunes or anything on my computer. I have a windows disk if I can change it through that?
Refers to the forgotten Windows password, the best way is to reset it by creating a boot disk with CD/DVD or USB drive through third-party software like Windows Password Unlocker. But if you have the Windows installation disk, you can take advantage of that disk to get rid of your lost password. Following is the detailed steps.
- Step 1. Start your computer from the Windows disk.
- Step 2. After loading setup files, select your language -> select repair your computer -> select the operating system to repair. Next select Command Prompt when the following screen appears.
- Step 3. In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands.
Type copy c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe c:\ and press Enter.
Type copy /y c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe and press Enter.
Close the command prompt and reboot the PC after executing the commands. Please remember to take the installation disk out.
- Step 4. When the Windows login screen appears, press Shift five times to open the Command Prompt, and then type net user username password.
Note: Replace username with your username and password with a new password.
- Step 5. Exit the Command Prompt, and log into the administrator account using your new password.
Done! Very easy! Please note resetting Windows password via this method means that you you will lose access to encrypted files/email messages, and stored passwords for Internet Explorer and network resources. So think careful bore you take it into action.
For a safer way to bypass the forgotten administrator password, see How to Regain Access to Your Computer When Forgot Windows 7 Password. Of all the methods, Windows Password Unlocker is preferred by most users. It allows you to reset lost administrator password in Windows 7 in 5 min. A few clicks required.
Note: Windows Password Unlocker can reset forgotten login passwords for all popular Windows OS like Windows 8/7/Vista/XP/2008/2003/2000.
- Step 1. Download and install Windows Password Unlocker.
- Step 2. Burn a boot password reset disk with CD/DVD/USB drive in seconds.
- Step 3. Start the locked PC from the boot disk and reset forgotten Windows password within 3 clicks under WinPE.
For more details, please see Windows Password Unlocker User Guide.